Suzanne's Second Estate

A web log of my thoughts, activities, life....

Monday, January 30, 2006

Young Friends

As I've mentioned, I go to church on Saturday nights now. The 605 welcomes all ages, but the majority of attendees are age 18-35. Yesterday I had to get up early to make a connection with some out-of-town friends, so I decided to go to the 9 a.m. service at Pulpit Rock (the service I attended for more than five years). When I got to church, the masses hadn't yet arrived, and I found an out-of-the-way seat on the aisle.

As worship began I sat alone in my row. But somewhere around the second song I noticed three little people hurrying into my row. Kayla, the oldest of the siblings, gave me a big smile. I met Kayla a couple years ago when she did a school report on Clubhouse. Since then I've seen her several times at church, and one time she and her family attended Focus chapel as my guests.

"I'm happy to see you," I said.

Kayla grinned. "I'm happy to see you, too!"

I gave Kayla a squeeze, feeling more than happy that she and her siblings had joined me.

The interaction reminded me of why I love intergenerational church. In the world, a genuine connection between a 12-year-old and a 20-something is rare. But in the Body of Christ, something deep and powerful connects people of all ages and makes them a family. And these relationships benefit both individuals. Yesterday God used my young friends to encourage me and remind me again of His heart.

1 Comments:

At 5:31 AM, Blogger Danielle said...

I love having younger friends around me; it's a delight!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home