Suzanne's Second Estate

A web log of my thoughts, activities, life....

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Actively Waiting


I've held off writing about "singleness." There's just such a stigma attached to the term. Out of pride, I like to separate myself from the rest of the single's scene or at least challenge the stereotypes. This article, "Single While Active," remained in a computer file for more than a year before I submitted it to Boundless.

M. Scott Peck said:

"There can be no vulnerability without risk; there can be no community without vulnerability; there can be no peace, and ultimately no life, without community.”


So for those of you who are single (or were once single), I hope the vulnerability of this article serves that end.

3 Comments:

At 2:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a GREAT article, Suzanne. Much needed, I think. You give practical examples of how to "wait" while growing into a person that is ready for marraige, whenever it comes, yet is a more enriched single as well.

 
At 9:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So uh.. Would you entertain the idea of going out with me? ;)

 
At 6:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Suzanne, it just doesn't seem fair. Christ-following males who are comfortable with their Biblical roles at least have the freedom to take some initiative in beginning relationships -- and yet, with young women who desire to honor their Creator/Savior and their Christian brothers, they often have little more to do than subtly let men know they're "available" and wait for them to pursue ...

This was a great column -- I enjoyed reading it, though I'm of the type who sympathizes terribly with the plight of singles. (I wonder why that is.)

It's at the point now, that were someone to come along in my own life, that I would feel abjectly guilty for all those "left behind" ...

Yet, as the previous comment may also show, Boundless columns get read a lot and may even result in what the immortal Impressive Clergyman from The Princess Bride termed -- "Mawwiage." I refer specifically to the case of the writer of "Don't Kiss Me," the now-Bethany Torode, who found her "catch" directly because of that column. ...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home