Suzanne's Second Estate

A web log of my thoughts, activities, life....

Monday, August 14, 2006

Piles


I'm a piler.

My room is ordinarily cluttered with various stacks of papers, books and CDs. It all makes sense to me; I know exactly which pile contains which items. There's a method to the madness, that is.

This weekend I eliminated the piles. I filed nine months worth of bank statements, paid bills, hand-outs, magazines and coupons. I did this because: A) My parents are visiting this week and they need a place to sleep (the piles were on the bed); B) Sveta's parents were coming over yesterday for lunch and a tour.

Though I'm still getting used to it, I like the way my room looks without the piles. Still, I don't know that I can entirely give up my piling ways. Piles represent things I want to give attention to. If I actually file the book in the shelf, chances are I won't read it. If it's lying next to me on the bed, however, it stands a much better chance.

I heard at a writer's conference that all writers are pilers. I don't know if this is true. Any pilers out there?

[photo is of my one remaining pile]

7 Comments:

At 7:32 AM, Blogger Ashleigh said...

I definitely have piles everywhere! And, when I do clean them up, which I did this weekend, then I can't find anything (even though I simply transfered the piles to closet shelves and into baskets). But the house looks better without the piles. :-)

 
At 8:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My family's house always had piles, which I didn't really like, so I try to get rid of piles really quickly. Usually though, mail piles up, as do magazines and books. I try to sort through them on a regular basis, though not always!

 
At 10:30 PM, Blogger Annie said...

Suzanne,
I am a piler and I do enjoy writing, I don't know if I would call myself a writer, but I do enjoy it. It drives my hubby crazy.
Annie

 
At 2:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yup! I am too.

 
At 2:51 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

I am a piler, but only on my desk and my bedside table...not anywhere else in the house!

Although I need to develop a better system with the pile of books by my bed...I keep adding new ones to the top, so even though I am constantly reading through the pile, I never get down to the ones on the bottom! Maybe I should go reverse the pile to give those books a chance! :-)

 
At 7:23 AM, Blogger Suzanne said...

Thanks for weighing in, friends. I don't feel so alone! :)

 
At 5:29 AM, Blogger 海瓜子Andy said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home