Suzanne's Second Estate

A web log of my thoughts, activities, life....

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Bekah in Thoroughly Modern Millie



These past two weekends, my sister Bekah played the part of Millie in Grays Harbor College's production of "Thoroughly Modern Millie." From Wikipedia:
Based on the 1967 film of the same name, Thoroughly Modern Millie tells the story of a small-town girl, Millie Dillmount, who comes to New York City to marry for money instead of love – a thoroughly modern aim in 1922, when women were just entering the workforce. Millie soon begins to take delight in the flapper lifestyle, but problems arise when she checks into a hotel owned by the leader of a white slavery ring in China.

Debuting in 2002, the musical won six Tony Awards, including Best Musical. The musical was pure fun! Bekah was phenomenal as the spunky Millie, who, as a modern girl, plots to marry her boss while falling in love with the poor but wonderful Jimmy. Bekah learned tap to play the part, and I enjoyed seeing her take her singing and acting to the next level.

I have seen many Grays Harbor College productions, but this was the best. I overheard more than one theater-goer proclaim that they felt the production — based on its quality — belonged in a bigger city. But my favorite fan was Ezra, Bekah's husband, who attended every show. I asked him if he just wanted to tell everyone that his wife was the lead.

"Of course!" he said. "I even have a strategy. When I strike up a conversation with the person in the seat next to me I say, 'So, do you know anyone in the play?' " Eventually the person would reciprocate the question at which point, Ezra could bask in the reflected glory of his wife's accomplishments. I think that's how it should be.

On the final show I attended, I noticed Ezra chatting with the little, old lady in the seat next to him. I caught his eye a few minutes later and mouthed, "Did you tell her?" He grinned and gave me two thumbs up.

And that's pretty much my opinion of the play. Two thumbs up.

2 Comments:

At 11:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

She's so good!!

 
At 11:27 AM, Blogger Suzanne said...

Isn't she, though???

 

Post a Comment

<< Home