Suzanne's Second Estate

A web log of my thoughts, activities, life....

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

A Life Not Wasted



Po-Wen Ching February 11, 1975-2006


There are people you meet in your lifetime who, though your time with them is brief, leave an indelible impression. Po-Wen Ching was one of those people for me.

I remember Po from my second year of Christian Youth in Action camp in Washington. You couldn’t miss him: outgoing, crazy-fun, loud, happy, on fire. That was my brother Matt’s first year at camp, and we were on a team together teaching a 5-Day Club. Our days were spent teaching kids about Jesus. Each evening we joined with other teens to give testimony and praise God.

Po was a few years older than us, and my brother idolized him. Each night after planned events finished, Po would sit on a picnic table playing worship music. He couldn’t sing to save his life, yet half the camp would gather to worship with him.

My brother tells me that watching Po that week inspired him to learn to play guitar. (“I wanted the girls to flock around me like that.”) Matt is now a worship leader. For me, it was Po’s enthusiasm for reaching people for Christ that was inspiring. He was excited about God. He was not ashamed of the gospel. He understood that life was a means, not an end.

Last night I received a call. My brother told me that Po died on February 11 — his 31st birthday. He collapsed while helping friends move. I am shocked that such a vibrant life was cut short. And yet God has a plan.

And what an example of a life not wasted. Po not only inspired countless teens through his years at Christian Youth in Action. He went on to work for Child Evangelism Fellowship, recruiting workers and missionaries, and building partnerships with other ministries. In fact, the last time I spoke to Po was last year when he called me at work and asked how we could get CEF materials into Dr. Dobson’s hands.

Po had passion. And though his life was relatively short, he used it to the full. We love you, Po. You will be missed.

Child Evangelism Fellowship has established a fund to help Overseas Summer Missions in Po's honor.

[Photo courtesy of Jemery Fo Femery]

3 Comments:

At 4:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Suzanne,

I just heard from my mom about Po and I am deeply saddened by this news.

Thank you for celebrating Po's life on your blog! I echo everything you've said about Po. Him and I started at CYIA the same year (1988, we were only 14 years old - seems not so long ago...oh how time flies!). You always knew when Po was in the building :)

Po and I hadn't spoke to each other in probably over 10 years, but I knew Po to be a good man -- a man of integrity with a BIG heart for anyone he came into contact with in his life. He will be remembered by many...

Dustin DeVries

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger Suzanne said...

Thanks for those words, Dustin. Matt and I are saddened as well. Po is someone you could never forget.

 
At 12:15 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend, Suzanne. :-( What a great tribute to him, and what an example his life was to make the most of the time we are given, to make it count for eternity. Thanks for letting us "get to know him" today.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home