Suzanne's Second Estate

A web log of my thoughts, activities, life....

Thursday, August 03, 2006

The Evangelist

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


When I attended the New Attitude conference in May, I was challenged to hold tightly to the truth of the gospel. One aspect of that calling is evangelism. I would consider myself "the clumsy evangelist." I seem to say the wrong thing at the wrong time. The Lord encouraged me through a chat with Eric Simmons, the singles pastor at Covenant Life Church in Gaithersburg, Maryland.

As I listened to Eric share his passion for evangelism, his words resonated. I have often found myself frustrated with sharing Christ because the outcome never seems to be what I hope for. Eric helped me confront an ugly truth in myself: While I hope for a decision for the sake of the person I am witnessing to, I perhaps desire it more for my own satisfaction. Instead of being willing to simply play my part in God's plan, I try to control the situation.

Eric offered dead-on biblical perspective. "God loves this person infinitely more than you ever could," he said. Read more of Eric's words of wisdom in this week's Boundless article, "The Impatient Evangelist." I hope Eric's words will encourage you as much as they encouraged me as you converse with people who don't know Christ but desperately need Him.

4 Comments:

At 7:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Suzanne, this was a great article. Josh and I both read it and loved it. I've been very challenged in this area recently too, after reading "Questioning Evangelism," as you know. Good job again!

 
At 6:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Suzanne

I read this yeasterday and today I am ready to have an opinion. I think that everyone who has a blog in which they share their life and their christian views, is being an evangelist.

And I have enjoyed your natural approach to your life very much, so you're a good evangelist in my eyes!

Bless you!
Mark.

 
At 11:02 AM, Blogger Adam Omelianchuk said...

Suzanne,

Hey, I found your blog! Looks like you are a real writer. I hope to anser your email next week.

 
At 9:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

great article. i linked to it on my blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home