Suzanne's Second Estate

A web log of my thoughts, activities, life....

Thursday, December 14, 2006

And Then There Were Four


With the addition of my little nephew Aaron, born on December 5, my brother has a beautiful "four family." Ben looks a bit disoriented in this pic, but I'm sure he'll soon be a GREAT big brother.

I love this picture of Matt and Ben. I continue to be impressed by what a good dad my little brother is. And Anna is a wonderful, patient and graceful mother.



Matt and Ben shortly after his birth.


I originally posted this on July 15, 2005:


My brother, Matt, is a new father. I spent this past weekend with Matt, his wife, Anna, and Baby Ben. Anna is a wonderful mother and more relaxed than most new moms I've known. But it was my brother's relationship with Ben that captivated me the most. As I watched Matt hold and kiss his tiny son, I saw a tenderness and self-sacrifice that had not been there before.

Seeing a new dad reminded me of my heavenly Father. I've often thought of myself as God's "big kid." A 5-year-old holding God's hand as he guides and directs me. But how often is God's response to me more like that of a father and infant? If in Him I "live and breathe and have my being," it seems I am more like a helpless infant — uncomprehending of so much of my Father's knowledge, unable to give Him anything, dependent on Him for my very life.

And yet, despite my seeming uselessness, He scoops me up into His strong, loving arms and kisses my face and delights to call me His child. I see the face of God in a new dad. Enjoy this picture and think of your Father.

"As a father has compassion on his children, so the LORD has compassion on those who fear him" —Psalm 103:13

2 Comments:

At 11:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I linked to your site from the Boundless Blog (which I LOVE), and I just wanted to say that I love reading your entries (both on this blog and on Boundless), and I think you have the coolest job ever. :)

 
At 2:28 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Yay for nephew pics!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home