Suzanne's Second Estate

A web log of my thoughts, activities, life....

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

A Sweet Story


Happy Valentine's Day! Though single for a majority of my 28 Valentine's days, I've never felt bitter about the holiday (like some people). In fact, I find it sweet. Yesterday, I received a call from the front desk informing me that I had a flower delivery. I was not expecting any such delivery, so I giddily made the trek to the administration building. Imagine my delight to discover not only a red rose, but a balloon, stuffed animal and candy! The note read: "Happy Valentine's Day! We love you! Mom and Dad." As I walked back to my desk, I received several ooo's and ah's from fellow employees, along with a few envious looks.

Happy Valentine's Day to you, blog friend! Whether you are single, dating or married know that many people love you today. Enjoy the story of St. Valentine (who could have been one of three men), a man who celebrated God's love. From Holidays.net:

The holiday of Valentine's Day probably derives its origins from the ancient Roman feast of Lupercalia. In the early days of Rome, fierce wolves roamed the woods nearby. The Romans called upon one of their gods, Lupercus, to keep the wolves away. A festival held in honor of Lupercus was celebrated February 15th.

One of the customs of the young people was name-drawing. On the eve of the festival of Lupercalia the names of Roman girls were written on slips of paper and placed into jars. Each young man drew a slip. The girl whose name was chosen was to be his sweetheart for the year.

Legend has it that the holiday became Valentine's Day after a priest named Valentine. Valentine was a priest in Rome at the time Christianity was a new religion. The Emperor at that time, Claudius II, ordered the Roman soldiers not to marry or become engaged. Claudius believed that as married men, his soldiers would want to stay home with their families rather than fight his wars. Valentine defied the Emperor's decree and secretly married the young couples. He was eventually arrested, imprisoned and put to death.

Valentine was beheaded on February 14th, the eve of the Roman holiday Lupercalia. After his death, Valentine was named a saint. As Rome became more Christian, the priests moved the spring holiday from the 15th of February to the 14th—Valentine's Day. Now the holiday honored Saint Valentine instead of Lupercus.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home