Suzanne's Second Estate

A web log of my thoughts, activities, life....

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Am I World Friendly?


The Lord has been challenging me with something recently.

It started with these words found in James 4:4: "You adulterous people, don't you know that friendship with the world is hatred toward God? Anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God."

I began to wonder: Am I a friend of the world? In today's Boundless article "World Friendly," I write:

Of all the things that could make me an enemy of God, friendship with the world isn't what I'd expect. I could understand if the verse said, "Anyone who joins a Satanic cult is an enemy of God," or even, "Anyone who denies the existence of Jesus...." But, "Anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God?" It seems a little extreme.

After all, isn't being familiar with popular TV shows or appreciating the world's sense of humor an enlightened way to live as a Christian? Paul seems to say nothing is off limits (as long as its beneficial). And he quoted the Athenian's own poets to get his point across (Acts 17:28). Those who don't know Christ seem to respond positively to someone who understands their world. It feels good to be accepting and in the know.

Still, I can't ignore James' words.


God used a couple of 16-year-olds to teach me something about my relationship with the world...and the Lord. Read more....

1 Comments:

At 8:42 AM, Blogger Ashleigh said...

Suzanne, I really, really liked this article. Even though I'm fairly careful about my media choices, it still convicted me to step back and re-examine what I'm watching. Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home