Suzanne's Second Estate

A web log of my thoughts, activities, life....

Tuesday, September 02, 2008

No Offense, but...


"No offense, but ..."

Nothing puts me on edge like those three words. What follows is never pleasant.

No offense, but you have a lot of zits. [Read: Someone should tell you your face is hard to look at.]

No offense, but your name is kind of old-fashioned. [Read: I think your name is dumb.]

No offense, but you just don't have the experience for the role. [Read: You are a talentless wannabe who could never compete with the likes of me.]

What someone means when they say "no offense," is that they are about to offend you ... badly. The thing is, offense rarely presents itself in such an overt way.


Exactly. Although, all three of the above statements were delivered to me at some point in my life. (And do you know I can picture exactly where I was when I received each insult?)

It's pretty easy to get offended, as I point out in today's Boundless article, "No Offense." But what really is the heart of offense? As Christians is it OK to be offended or is it contrary to God's kingdom? The answer to that question might surprise you...no offense.

Read more....

2 Comments:

At 6:53 PM, Blogger Danielle said...

No offense (to anyone else), but... you are one of my Favourite Boundless Persons ever.

This article was great -- just what I needed to read this week. Thank you!

 
At 10:35 PM, Blogger Suzanne said...

:) Danielle, you are so sweet. Thank you for the encouragement. I'm glad the article was helpful! Now you should read my post on the Boundless blog about singles in Australia!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home