Suzanne's Second Estate

A web log of my thoughts, activities, life....

Sunday, December 07, 2008

A Carpool Christmas


OK, so about a year ago I started a Facebook group for 20- and 30-somethings who attend my church. At a friend's suggestion I named it "Carpool." For over a year, the group had about 12 members. The intention was to get together and do stuff, but we never did.


Abe and Grace. Grace was our Clubhouse intern back in 2000. Now she and her husband attend my church!

Then last month, we all met up after church one day for lunch. Brandy made delicious chili, and it was a good time. I discovered that people were confused about the name of the group — Carpool. Some thought it was actually a group for organizing carpools to church. After that confusion was cleared up, the number of members shot to 21!


My friend Melissa helped me clean the house for the party!

Today I hosted a Christmas party at my house. Everyone brought yummy Christmas goodness (including Dan's "evil" chocolate pudding dessert), and we watched "Elf." I had a great time getting to know other young adults (single and married) who attend my church.

Something I love about the Gathering is that it is multi-generational and everyone is very service and outreach oriented. Among those who came today were four Sunday school teachers, a tech guy, our church secretary and a drama team member. I think that's cool. But because we're all serving, we're sometimes ships passing in the night when it comes to church. That was the best thing about today — gaining encouragement from our peers. If you're lacking community at your church, just start a "carpool."

Next event: bowling!


Dan: Tech guru and dessert-maker extraordinaire.



Brad and Kate talk art and Hallmark movies.

4 Comments:

At 10:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so bummed I missed it! My shopping excursion ran really late.

Definitely next time!

Brandy

 
At 10:39 PM, Blogger Suzanne said...

Brandy, we definitely missed you! I hope you can come for bowling.

 
At 8:27 AM, Blogger Becky said...

Hey! I know Kate!

 
At 12:00 PM, Blogger Carmen said...

Glad it was cleared up that the group was not in fact for the purpose of forming carpools :) I had a little chuckle to myself over that! Maybe I can make the bowling one!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home