Suzanne's Second Estate

A web log of my thoughts, activities, life....

Thursday, September 01, 2005

The Dreaded Head Cold

It's here. The dreaded head cold. I always feel it coming...like toast crumbs in my throat. I took the echinacea, but too late. Monday I felt that burning sensation behind my eyes. Tuesday my eyes and nose burned. Yesterday I finally admitted I was sick and stayed home. I slept, took vitamin C, watched Oprah...all the things you do to recover from such things...went to bed at 9, slept straight until 7 and decided I should go to work.

Bad idea. Everything went fine until I actually got to the office. My first phone call came from a Zondervan publishing rep who wants to give us free stuff to give away to kids. I immediately recognized my brain was completely unable to comprehend the situation and deal with it in a logical manner (probably due to a high dose of Tylenol cold and flu). So I asked my editor if I could pass the call to him. He seemed a bit mystified at my request but agreed. I then proceeded to transfer the call...into his voice mail. Oops. Things went downhill from there, and I soon received an e-mail (not a personal visit) from my other editor asking if there was anything she could take off my plate so that I could get home and into bed (i.e. "Get your germs out of this office as soon as possible.") I thought that was a very nice offer and took her up on it.

There's not really a moral to this story, other than "It is better for one to admit that a head cold is, in fact, a sickness and go home than have one's co-workers decide you're crazy." Wise words. I'm going home now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home