Suzanne's Second Estate

A web log of my thoughts, activities, life....

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

My Skydiving Adventure


Yesterday I went skydiving. Skydiving is not something I’ve always wanted to do. In fact, it wasn’t even on my list until recently. My friend Anthony, who is a parachute instructor at the Air Force Academy, is a talented skydiver (his team took 7th in the nation among 70-some teams). And when he offered to take me, I realized I’d never have the opportunity to go with someone I trusted more.

Yesterday dawned clear and gorgeous with a light breeze. We arrived in Canyon city at 10 a.m., and I geared up. Anthony explained everything I’d need to do: step out on the platform, rock forward-back-forward and ARCH. Arching was the important thing. We piled into a small plane with four others, including the pilot. Going up in the plane, which reminded me a little of an airborne clown car, was the scariest part. You could feel the air, like riding a paper plane.

When we reached altitude, Anthony tightened our harnesses until I could feel his breathing on my back. As I stepped outside the plane onto the platform, I gripped the side of the plane for stability. But Anthony quickly ripped my hand from the door — I could hear his words in my head, “Oh no you don’t.”

Then there was a quick rocking and the plunge — like leaving a high dive. I arched with all my might, and we tumbled a couple times — ground, sky, ground. Then we stabilized into our 40-second freefall. Anthony tapped my shoulder and I put my hands out to my side. I wasn’t scared, but the collar of my flight suit whipped against my neck, which hurt since we were traveling 200 mph. Anthony gave me a second tap, and I tucked my thumbs under my harness. WHOOMP. The canopy inflated, sucking us upward and tossing us side-to-side like a towel on a wash line.

My first words to Anthony were, “My lips are so dry.” Yeah, it was dumb but true. All that air rushing past my face had a drying effect. As we began a gentle descent I took in the scenery. It was strange being so far above everything without being in a plane. Anthony showed me how to steer, and our canopy danced back and forth several times. He pulled us into a fast spin complete with G forces. Then it was time to land.

I lifted my legs into a pike position as we drifted down into the landing area. A couple guys were ready to catch us, but we touched down so softly, I didn’t even fall. I can’t describe the feeling of accomplishment that came over me in that moment. I, a relative scaredy-cat, had jumped from a plane and survived! I had done something no one in my family has ever done. I had done something my friends and family would never have expected me to attempt. Triumph.

As I reflected on the experience, I also saw a spiritual metaphor. I had never considered skydiving until I met Anthony. His enthusiasm for the sport and my confidence in his abilities gave me the desire to take the risk. And while there were the usual nerves that accompany such things, I felt safe. People have asked me, “How could you do that? How could you jump out of a plane?” My answer is that I trusted the person I was jumping with. I think you can catch the power of that picture when it comes to our relationship with Christ. When you feel safe in His hands you can do things you never thought you could. Take a risk with Him.


View more skydiving pictures on my photo blog!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home