Suzanne's Second Estate

A web log of my thoughts, activities, life....

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Sweet Associations


Yesterday during a training seminar, our instructor passed around a bag of candy. As I put one of those timeless Runts bananas in my mouth, it hit me: summer vacation. I find it interesting how tastes, smells and sounds can so strongly attach themselves to memories. For example:



Runts candy...the taste of summer vacation.

Lilacs...the smell of running around barefoot when I was 8.

"Picture Perfect" by Michael W. Smith...the sound of my first crush.

Ramen Noodles...the taste of a college dorm room.

Warm vanilla sugar...the smell of moving to Colorado.

The Beach Boys...the sound of road trips.

Hairspray...the smell of dress rehearsals.

Mocha latte...the taste of finals.

"Beautiful Dreamer"...the sound of my best friend, Julie.


What are the tastes, smells and sounds of your life?

5 Comments:

At 8:13 PM, Blogger Danielle said...

Mm... our sense so often correlate with our memories. I'm going to borrow your idea for a post!

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger Danielle said...

Strawberries . . . the taste of spring. That's all I could think of for now! :)

Oh and yes, I'm an Exhibition Design Assistant at The Walters Art Museum in Baltimore. If you're ever in Baltimore, stop by! Actually though, since I've always wanted to write/illustrate books for children, I think YOUR job sounds pretty cool!

 
At 9:52 AM, Blogger anne said...

what a fun post Suzanne! I love it...

a few for me...

swedish fish...the taste of summers with my best friend and cousin.

Ravioli...my Grandparents who passed away years ago.

Coldplay...their music reminds me of my husband

coffee... the taste of relaxing with someone I love... and the smell of working. (I used to work at Starbucks)

 
At 8:38 AM, Blogger Suzanne said...

Aw...sad that coffee is the smell of work! For me it is the smell of sheer happiness. :)

 
At 9:03 AM, Blogger anne said...

it's all good because I don't work there anymore, and now it is just pure enjoyment everytime I step into a starbucks...only bummer is I usually have to pay now!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home