Suzanne's Second Estate

A web log of my thoughts, activities, life....

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Simple Things


There are several reasons my blog posts have diminished over the past few weeks.

  1. I have been blogging for the Boundless Line. Look for my more contemplative posts there.
  2. I am in the final stretch of a two-week deadline period at work.
  3. I have been cooking dinner, cleaning house and completing other ordinary tasks that impede on blogging.

Item three particularly has been a healthy development for me. I used to have an engagement every evening but Thursday. This made me feel like I was always behind and couldn't get enough done on the weekends. In fact, I would actually feel guilty on the weekend for sleeping in or spending time with friends because of all the other things I should be doing.

A contributing factor to my return to the mundane is my new housemate. When I invited her to live with me, I made a commitment to myself and the Lord that I would be available to her. Right now that means picking her up from work most nights at 9. When we get back to the house, we have a routine. I clean the kitchen and prepare the coffee for the next morning (the auto setting is a beautiful thing); she sits at the bar and tells me about her day. I've had roommates before, but since college my living situations have been fairly autonomous. We live at the same house but go our separate ways. Occasionally our "home time" overlapped, resulting in conversations. With Sveta it's different. She is a daily part of my life. I like that.

So forgive my lapses in blogging...but understand that I am probably folding laundry or making a salad or giving someone a hug. Simple things that bring great joy.

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might." —Ecclesiates 9:10

3 Comments:

At 1:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree, auto settings on coffee posts is fabulous! I've been catching your posts on Boundless line, BTW. Glad you're putting the most important things first, like flesh-and-blood relationships!

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger Ashleigh said...

Suzanne, great reasons not to be posting as much. Glad you're able to establish this relationship with your new roommate!

 
At 2:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you and your housemate are getting along really well! :) That is so great! We should do lunch soon Suz!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home