Suzanne's Second Estate

A web log of my thoughts, activities, life....

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

A Picture of Passion


I was really sad yesterday to hear that “The Crocodile Hunter,” Steve Irwin, had died. He was the kind of guy that was passionate enough to be considered a little loony while at the same time admirable. I am not alone in my feelings of loss. USA Today reports an outpouring of worldwide condolences similar to that seen at the passing of Princess Diana.

Aside from the khaki shirt, the “crikey” and the deranged antics, Steve Irwin changed the face of wildlife conservation. The article reports that 14 years ago, before Irwin's international success, there were only two nationally televised wildlife programs on the air. Now there are 29. His passion for animals raised awareness and inspired people to value and protect endangered species.

It makes me think about the difference passion can make. I mean, I’m not a crocodile lover (and I’m certainly not fond of snakes), but I was truly saddened to hear that this passionate individual was gone. It could be the fact that he was such a likeable pop culture icon. But I think it’s also the fact that he was a person who stood for something. His excitement for what he loved was contagious.

I want to be that same kind of person. Someone who will be remembered for having a passion—maybe even being a little loony. That is the legacy of the Croc Hunter. I'm gonna miss that guy.

3 Comments:

At 1:36 PM, Blogger Carl said...

I was a fan of The Crocodile Hunter and was shocked and saddened to hear of his death on the news yesterday. I went ahead and put a memorial entry about him on my blog as well. Apparently there are a lot of fans in the blogosphere judging by all the entries about him that I've read today. The man's passion was indeed genuine and not an act. I wish I could have met him.

 
At 6:37 PM, Blogger Ashleigh said...

I was shocked too. I think we should all be praying for his wife and kids.

 
At 10:53 AM, Blogger Zoanna said...

I was really sad too. Did you watch the marathon tribute to him yesterday? He and Terri were instantly, madly passionate about one another and found in each other kindred spirit. If ever there was a wife who was willing to stand behind her man (or sit on the back of a croc with him), it was she. I thought it funny he even named his daughter after his favorite croc and dog, respectively. Her name is Bindi Sue (sp?). If I were his daughter, I'd find it endearing to be named for a crocodile.
I shall miss him, too. I can't imagine the nightmares his friend and camera man are having as they remember witnessing the sting to his heart underwater and dying before their eyes. But I"m glad he died doing what he loved. He said in the tribute, "If there's two things I want to be remembered for , it's passion and enthusiasm." Boy, will he!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home