Suzanne's Second Estate

A web log of my thoughts, activities, life....

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

True Confessions of the Mechanically Challenged


Sveta freezing


This morning I woke up and I felt like I was in episode of "Little House on the Prairie." I could fairly see my breath in the chill. I looked at the thermostat: a decidedly chilly 54 degrees. I turned up the heat, but no familiar clicking on of the furnace.

A co-worker suggested my pilot light was most likely out and informed me that the local utilities company will relight it for free. So I came home and waited. And presently a very nice utilities company representative arrived. Here's where the story gets embarassing. After checking the furnace and finding no apparent problem, he looked in the thermostat box. "You'll want to turn this switch from 'off' to 'heat,'" he said matter-of-factly. Ahem. Yeah. I knew that.

Flipping that switch was the trick. I have heat again. And I provided a humorous moment for the nice utilities guy. It's a win-win.


the box

4 Comments:

At 10:24 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

That's very funny!

 
At 6:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too funny! Don't just love those "duh" moments!

 
At 8:17 AM, Blogger Ashleigh said...

So funny! I can totally see myself doing that. Last week I told Ted the answering machine was broken. I had people tell me they'd tried calling and it simply rang and rang only to be answered by a beeping. I tried unplugging it and plugging it back in. No change. Turns out the answering machine was simply turned off. A little push of a button by Ted fixed it.

 
At 6:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too Funny!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home