Suzanne's Second Estate

A web log of my thoughts, activities, life....

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Breakfast Addiction


During college I quit eating breakfast.

Oh, I'd have the occasional Pop-Tart, and I consumed plenty of burnable energy via calorie-rich mochas. But I pretty much eliminated the most important meal of the day. When my bagel and orange juice-addicted friends tried to force breakfast upon me, I claimed I wasn't hungry in the morning (and this was true). I relished the few minutes my anti-breakfast clause saved me before 8 a.m. classes. And when I was battling the freshman 15, skipping a meal seemed like a reasonable idea.

Two years ago, something changed. It started with my friend Heidi. A breakfast-addict, Heidi suggested we meet once a week for bagels. Later, my friend Krishana had the same idea. Suddenly I was eating breakfast twice a week. You may or may not know this...but once you start eating breakfast, it's hard to stop. I noticed that I was hungry on the mornings when I did not meet my friends. I started eating a bowl of cereal at home or getting eggs and toast at the cafeteria.

Not only was I now eating breakfast on a regular basis; I was thinking about how I could eat MORE breakfast. When friends would ask to get together, I would suggest, "How about breakfast?" I plotted to schedule Saturday morning breakfast — the king of breakfasts — most weeks. Pleasant thoughts of chatting over a plate of golden french toast and unlimited coffee refills would fill my mind. Or worse, for dinner, I'd suggest going to one of those "breakfast all day" places, just so I could feed my addiction. Even at home, I kept eggs on hand. And sometimes when I got home from work, I would make a hole-in-one or a breakfast burrito.

Years of breakfast deprivation had brought me to this sad state. But I discovered something through my breakfast addiction; it really IS the most important meal of the day. After reinstating breakfast, I felt better, got more done and lost weight. I also discovered some of my favorite foods are breakfast foods. This weekend I will be home with my family. A Hadley tradition is eggs for breakfast on Saturday morning. Dad makes a mean omlette. So maybe it's in my blood; I was born a breakfast eater.

10 Comments:

At 12:00 PM, Blogger Mike Theemling said...

I know more people who are overweight who skip or skimp breakfast than healthy people who do not.

Breakfast gets your metabolism going, your brain going, and probably most importantly, reduces the urge to snack throughout the day which if we all snacked on celery sticks and rice cakes might not be so bad but the average "snack" has more calories/fat/salt than most full breakfasts.

Which is why even if it is just a Pop-Tart or a banana I ALWAYS eat something in the morning.

 
At 2:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE breakfast food. I quit eating breakfast once I started working full-time. Coffee was my breakfast most mornings. Now, being pregnant, I eat breakfast everyday, because it's so important. It's true, it is way healthier for you and gets your metabolism going. Now I can't miss breakfast!

Also, because I need easy dinners to make, I make one "breakfast dinner" a week: pancakes and fruit, egg sandwhiches, etc. Hmmm

 
At 3:04 PM, Blogger Suzanne said...

Mike, Good points on the nutrition considerations. I just noticed I posted a picture of a rather unhealthy breakfast here. :)

 
At 9:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My all-time favorite food in the whole wide world is French Toast. I LOVE breakfast. All day long.

 
At 11:19 PM, Blogger Anna H. said...

I think the anti-breakfast clause runs in the Hadley family. I still can't get Matt to eat breakfast most days. He settles for his coffee. But when he does eat breakfast, he usually ejoys making it, and, as you know, he makes amazing corn pancakes, and french toast!

 
At 11:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Willis family Christmas morning tradition: Bacon, eggs, scrapple, and juice or sweetend tea. Hmmm ...

Next time I suggest a nice dinner out your should counter with Denny's -- a $5.99 Grand Slam sounds a lot better than a $12.99 dish at PF Changs!

Have a fun trip, friend!

 
At 12:35 AM, Blogger Michael said...

Your picture is making me hungry. =P Looks like biscuits n gravy and hash browns. Mmmm I wouldn't mind that about now . . .

 
At 4:52 AM, Blogger sarah cool said...

I also love breakfast! It is my favorite meal! I do not like pancakes or waffles, but I LOVE ME SOME SCRAMBLED EGGIES!

 
At 3:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who would have thought that breakfast could spark such conversation! I love breakfast too - speaking of which - I think we are due for a breakfast here soon Suz :-) maybe when you get back.

 
At 3:16 PM, Blogger Suzanne said...

Now all my friends with whom I've ever had breakfast are suspcious of my true motives for getting together with them. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home