Suzanne's Second Estate

A web log of my thoughts, activities, life....

Thursday, March 01, 2007

Good, Bad and Funny


I bring you a hodgepodge of things on this first day of March. Enjoy!

I thoroughly enjoyed Jenny Schroedel's article "Telling Secrets" on Boundless today. She writes this beautiful statement about secret-telling:
When we begin to tell our secrets, we invite those around us to share their own. As the conversation deepens, two souls lean towards each other and each feels less alone.

Speaking of beautiful things, I highly recommend Amazing Grace. This film is the story of 18th Century abolitionist William Wilberforce. It follows his journey from his conversion at age 25 to his extraordinary efforts in parliament to abolish the slave trade in England. The film is incredibly well-done. Albert Finney (who I will always know as Daddy Warbucks) turns in an especially strong performance as John Newton, the writer of the hymn Amazing Grace. The International Justice Mission is leading The Amazing Change campaign inspired by the film.

Don't see Babel. I know it was nominated for seven Academy Awards (and won best original score), but sometimes that's a good indicator that a film will not be a joy to watch. The movie was slow, crude and had few redeeming qualities. If you don't believe me, read the Plugged In review.

Ending on a happy note, my friend Jared tells a humorous story about getting in shape.

1 Comments:

At 9:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heartily second Suzanne's warning about Babel. Most unenjoyable movie I've seen in a long time. Depressing, slow and not much of a plot. Plus, the score wasn't all that great either.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home