Suzanne's Second Estate

A web log of my thoughts, activities, life....

Saturday, March 17, 2007

Happy St. Patrick's Day!


Last year I learned that I am 1/8 Irish. So I can officially wear those buttons that say, "Kiss Me, I'm Irish." Today I chose to celebrate by dressing up and running the St. Patrick's Day 5K in downtown Colorado Springs with my friend (and former housemate) Krishana. My goal was to run the entire race, which I did thanks to Krishana's encouragement. Here's an excerpt I wrote of my last running experience, which took place in August 2005 (scroll down):
That's when it happened. "Hhhaaa-hhhaaa, Hhhaaa-hhhaa." It sounded like Darth Vader was behind me. The owner of the strange breathing technique tailed me for a couple minutes, making me increasingly nervous. Finally I slowed to let her pass. Bad idea. As I slowed, I became more aware of the burn in my legs, the blister forming on my right foot and the uncomfortable feeling in my side. Suddenly each little obstacle discouraged me. A slight hill, the intensity of the sun, running on gravel — every hinderance made me conclude I couldn't keep running.

Between miles 3 and 5, I stopped to walk four times. At first I was miffed by my lack of endurance and determination. As Nike slogans danced through my head, I reworded them: "Just DON'T do it" and "Defeat is ALWAYS an option." I suffered the humiliation of old ladies and 12-year-olds passing me. Then I remembered the saying, "To thine ownself be true." Being true to myself was admitting that I'm not a top-notch runner. Being true to myself was being willing to walk (and enjoying it) when I couldn't run. Being true to myself was feeling satisfaction not for setting a new record but for finishing the race.

Such was the case today. If Krishana hadn't been beside me, I certainly would have stopped to walk. But I didn't. I finished in 387th place out of 642 female runners with a time of 32:31. A very respectable time, and the second best I've received in a 5K.

Jared also ran the race, carrying this Stick Horse, and finished in 29:12. I heard someone call out, "That Stick Horse is cheating." We all know this is untrue. Stick Horses never cheat.

3 Comments:

At 12:46 AM, Blogger Anna H. said...

Looks like you had a fun day, Suz!! Who would have thought, a few years ago, that you would be running 5k's? God is so very good!!! And, you look so cute in green!!!! :-)

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger Ashleigh said...

Great job! Love the outfits! :-)

 
At 9:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This looks like it was fun! My roomate actually ran in this race! She said it was a good time!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home