Suzanne's Second Estate

A web log of my thoughts, activities, life....

Saturday, March 10, 2007

Thoughts on Sabbath

I have been considering the idea of establishing a Sabbath for several months now. Honestly, I'm fearful about giving up the time. Because I do not believe that Christians under the new covenant are obligated to keep the Sabbath, observing it would be an exercise in slowing down and experiencing God more deeply. My pastor Jonathan pointed out that God established the Sabbath for Israel after He brought them out of Egypt—a place where they were forced to labor daily. It was as if He said: "My relationship with you is not dependent on what you do." That's a truth that is often lost in the busyness of my own life.

I appreciated an entry on Justin Buzzard's blog on his family's Sabbath-keeping. He writes:
Two months ago my wife and I began keeping a weekly Sabbath. For the last two months our work lives have shutdown at sundown on Friday. From the setting of the sun on Friday until the setting of the sun on Saturday, our family unplugs, puts work aside, and enjoys 24 hours of play, rest, laughter, and praise.

Implementing this Friday sundown shutdown is proving to be one of the most radical and rewarding decisions I've ever made. I'm now experiencing a rhythm to my life that I've never known before. I'm entering my work week with more energy and enthusiasm than before. I'm working harder and resting/playing harder than ever before. The vast value of the Sabbath, a value that I'm just beginning to explore and experience, is now slowly seeping into and refreshing my walk with God, my marriage, and my ministry.

Maybe I can establish a mini-Sabbath and work up to a full day. That will take some trust. Then again, it seems that's what Sabbath is about.

2 Comments:

At 7:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've done my best to keep some sort of Sabbath since I was in the EDGE Corps in 2000 and it has been one of the best things I've ever done. When I don't have it, I miss it. I work to not have any obligations on my Sabbath on an ongoing basis.

For the last year and a half my day of rest has been on Sunday since we had church on Saturday night. Since the move to Sunday occurred I've been asked to be in a group on Saturday night and I declined because I wanted to keep my day of rest.

Having one day per week in which you have no obligations is one of the best things you can do. I notice the difference when I go extended periods of time without this day. I’m more irritable and less focused.

This may not be the traditional “Sabbath” that you’re thinking of starting but it is definitely a day of rest and rejuvenation for me.

 
At 8:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think establishing a 'mini' sabbath is a great idea. I think we all could use some time to just relax and refresh ourselves and just regroup.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home