Suzanne's Second Estate

A web log of my thoughts, activities, life....

Saturday, March 03, 2007

Oxygen, Old Friends and Omlettes

I'm posting from overcast Aberdeen, Washington. I love breathing the air here. Oxygen is a beautiful thing.

Yesterday I had one of the best experiences I've had guest speaking for a journalism class at Multnomah. It was a small feature writing class, but the three students were incredibly attentive, smiled a lot and took notes. I thought that perhaps my communication skills had improved until my friend Rachel reminded me that this was a freshman class. I usually speak to juniors and seniors who are so over the whole college experience. Freshmen are so bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. They dutifully took the magazines I offered, which made me feel even better.

After class, I gave Rachel a tour of the journalism house where I'd spent many happy hours as a college student. I showed her the picture of my newspaper staff. "Ah, the Suzy bangs," she said, giggling.

"What?" I asked.

"The Suzy bangs," she repeated. "You had that long hair and straight-across bangs forever." (Rachel is a family friend I've known since I was 15.) "It was kind of home school."

Oh, the truth hurts. A little.

Anyway, a great first day in the Northwest. Pocahontas, the play my sister directed, was fantastic, and I got to meet blog friend Michael. A great day all around. And my little breakfast advertisement paid off. Dad made me a delicious omlette this morning.

3 Comments:

At 11:28 PM, Blogger Danielle said...

Ah, the home school look. Yes indeed. For years, my sisters and I would ask each other for an outfit critique, "Is this home school?" Now I've just decided to wear what I like, homeschool or otherwise :).

 
At 12:30 PM, Blogger Annie said...

Welcome back to the NW! Enjoy your time.

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger Michael said...

Thanks for the invite. I enjoyed meeting you and your family and props to your sister for getting us the best seats in the house for Pocahontas. =)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home