Suzanne's Second Estate

A web log of my thoughts, activities, life....

Monday, January 14, 2008

Resolution Check-In


I decided it would be a good idea to check in occasionally and report on how the resolutions are coming. Interestingly, I seem to have adopted a resolution that was not even on my list. January has been christened "The Month of Cleaning," and I have been purging closets, drawers and files. It's a good feeling. But back to actual resolutions....

I resolved to use my French press. I am happy to report that I have been using it three or four times a week. That means I am using it approximately 300 to 400 percent more than before.

Let me share the instructions for making a good French press:

Start with a course grind of your favorite coffee (the grind should look flaky with lovely bits of bean visible). Measure six 1-Tablespoon scoops into the bottom of your press. Boil or almost boil water (technically it's best when you don't boil it, so you don't scald the beans. I usually let my boiling water cool for half a minute or so.) Pour water into press, leaving about an inch of space at the top. Fit lid to top of press without pressing down the plunger. Set timer for four minutes—longer and your coffee will turn bitter. When timer goes off gently push plunger down. I don't know how to describe the speed, since I learned while my brother was yelling: "Faster! No, too fast! A little faster. TOO FAST!" A slow steady push keeps grinds from getting into the coffee, the screen from jamming or scalding water escaping the spout.

The result is delicious! "Use French press." Good resolution. Now I need to read.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home