Suzanne's Second Estate

A web log of my thoughts, activities, life....

Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Back From Florida


Grandpa and Me.


I spent the past seven days in Florida, first at the Florida Christian Writer's Conference near Sarasota, and then with my grandparents in St. Petersburg. When I first arrived, Florida was experiencing "winter," with temperatures in the 50s. So much for getting away to warm weather. To add insult to injury, I got a cold.

The beach in St. Petersburg.


Warm weather finally came on Saturday, and on Monday I was able to walk out to the Gulf in St. Pete's. I especially enjoyed spending time with my grandparents and finding out that Hadleys can be traced back to the pilgrims (although not any that came over on the Mayflower). When I told Grandpa that my improv group performs at the Broadmoor, he told me a story about how my grandma (who died when I was little) once stayed at the Broadmoor when she was visiting a guy she was interested in. "Once she met me," Grandpa said, "she pretty much forgot about him." It was fun to think of my grandma making a trip to Colorado to see a potential suitor--one that she forgot when Grandpa swept her off her feet.

So I return from Florida with a cold (which will soon go away) and family stories (which will last a long time).

Grandma Cookie turned 90 this year.

4 Comments:

At 11:21 AM, Blogger Becky said...

Grandma Cookie!? That's so cute.

 
At 8:35 PM, Blogger Suzanne said...

I know! When my grandpa married her when I was little, I guess I asked him if she was going to make us cookies. She did. She always brought us a bag of chocolate chip peanut butter cookies when they came to visit.

 
At 12:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad your back safe and sound and that you had a good trip! Hope that cold gets better!

 
At 10:37 PM, Blogger Christy said...

Oh to be in Florida even when the weather is "cold"!
Sorry to hear you are feeling under the weather.
I have been thinking about TallGrass since we talked - longing for a day off and an hour or two of pampering with you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home