Suzanne's Second Estate

A web log of my thoughts, activities, life....

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Engaged!



On Saturday my best friend asked me to marry him.

From Kevin's and my first extended conversation (in January), our relationship has come together very quickly. Weeks after we began dating in early March, I knew Kevin was the man God had for me to marry. Kevin knew as well; God definitely led us in the same timing.

Regarding the proposal, Kevin was intent on two things: 1. Surprising me (quite a feat considering our early discovery that we would marry); 2. Making the event a great story for me to tell. I'm a writer, so he knew the story would certainly be told.

For a month or so we've talked about going ring shopping, but we were both too busy to do so. Last week, for example, we were both working at VBS from 8 a.m.-1 p.m. and then Kevin would work at Starbucks from 3 p.m. to midnight. So we hadn't gone ring shopping but Kevin requested I leave this past Saturday open for a "date day."


Originally he suggested we go horseback riding, but on Thursday he asked if we could change our plans and go to Estes Park. I said yes; Estes Park is one of my favorite places. On Friday I had a weird feeling he might propose. A few things seemed suspicious, like he was planning to dress up a little and he had asked if we could have dinner with his parents later. But Friday night he suggested we go ring shopping this week and gave this whole (very sincere and convincing) speech about how he wanted me to get the ring I wanted and he didn't want to mess up the experience. (He now claims that was all true and coming from his actual concern that I like the ring.) I bought it hook, line and sinker and ruled out a proposal as part of Saturday's events.

Even when his "surprise" plan—a horse-drawn carriage—pulled up at 7 p.m., I still didn't suspect. I just thought he was creating a relaxing and romantic date for us. He didn't seem a bit nervous as we headed out on our carriage ride toward the mountains. The evening was gorgeous. Kevin is allergic to horses, so he started having a reaction. Around that time, he said, "We should stop and take a picture before my eyes get too red." So the driver pulled over near a clump of Aspens and a little brook. I found it slightly odd that the driver didn't offer to take our picture but instead said he was driving to the end of the lane to turn the horse around.

Kevin and I walked into the Aspens where we took a couple of pictures. After our photo moment, Kevin took both my hands. His hands were all nervous and fidgety, and that is when I knew what was happening. I got an adrenaline rush like the one you feel at the top of a roller coaster hill when you're about to go down the other side. This was it. He was proposing!!!

I listened carefully since many of my friends have said they forget what the guy said when he proposed. Kevin told me some of the reasons he loves me—my smile and laugh, my passion for God and people and children. Then he got down on one knee and said, "Suzanne Hadley, will you marry me?" I said YES!!! (Very quickly, I might add—he's a catch!)

When we returned to the carriage, a dozen red roses were waiting along with sparkling cider and Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. He and the driver had an elaborate plan worked out. There had been a code phrase and everything! And a woman I thought was a friendly neighbor walking by was the carriage driver's wife, who had stashed all the goodies until needed.


Kevin picked the ring himself based on only the following from me: "I'd like it to be warm, soft and romantic." He bought the ring in North Carolina when he was there for his brother's wedding two weeks ago. I love it. The ring is unique, and I love that Kevin picked it out himself. He gets an A+++ for the proposal and ring. He accomplished both his goals: He surprised me and gave me a great story to tell.

I am a blessed woman. God has orchestrated our story, from our unusual meeting a year ago, to our ample opportunities to minister together, to our miracle-grow friendship, to our overcoming potential obstacles to our relationship, to our shared passion for children's ministry, to our mutual enjoyment of coffee, to our simple joy in being in each other's company. God knew who I needed; and He knew when I needed him. In January I had no idea I would be engaged in June. The glory goes to God who blesses us with what we do not deserve and sustains us when blessings are less apparent.

"You are good, and what you do is good; teach me your decrees." —Psalm 119:68

17 Comments:

At 11:40 AM, Anonymous Geary & Jeana Linhart said...

What a great story! And your ring is gorgeous! Congratulations!

 
At 11:42 AM, Blogger Carmen said...

Congratulations!! The story is great, the ring is beautiful! I'm very happy for you!

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger KelseyElizabeth said...

Suzanne, I am so beyond excited for you. You deserve this experience so much. You are a wonderful person and I am so glad God has blessed you in this way! Congrats my friend. :)

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

So happy for you, Suzanne! And what a lovely ring! Yay!

 
At 2:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We're so HAPPY for you both! What a GREAT story!!!

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger Becky said...

WOOHOO!!! Let the madness begin! So happy for you, friend.

 
At 2:59 PM, Blogger Darren Larson said...

The best part of this story is that Kevin is allergic to horses - yet he not only took you on a carriage, but first suggested you go horseback riding. Nice. Sounds like a winner to me, Suzanne. Congrats to both of you.

 
At 5:16 PM, Blogger Danielle said...

SUZANNE!!!

I am so very, very happy for you, and I am actually teary after reading your beautiful proposal story :). I wish you both so many blessings that you won't know what to do with them all.

(oh, and the ring is AMAZINGLY gorgeous)

*excited*

 
At 6:52 PM, Blogger Terah Lynn said...

Now that is the kinda of engagement detail I was looking for. I am SO truly happy for you and cant wait to meet Kevin.

 
At 6:51 AM, Blogger Rachael Starke said...

Oh!Oh!Oh!

I'm up way too early because I'm a little under the weather and just stopped by your blog.....

Wonderful news!!! Wonderful story!! And what a wonderful God who answers prayer!

What a motivation to now get off my laptop and work through all my other prayer requests (right after I put a big CHECK! next to one :) )

Oh and the ring is gorgeous.

 
At 12:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hoorayyyy! So excited to find this blog post! So happy for you!

 
At 9:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have been reading boundless for years and really hoping you would get married one day. so happy God let you find each other.

 
At 5:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Suzanne, Congratulations! I am SO thrilled for you!!!
-Julie Theo. :)

 
At 7:56 AM, Blogger Rose said...

Yay! I cannot say how happy I am for you two. God bless you sweetly and richly. Lots of love and keep on holding onto the Lord. - rosemary

 
At 12:42 AM, Blogger thelifemosaic said...

Best wishes and prayers to you, Suzanne. :)

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger Frank Martens said...

Oh Wow! Congrats!

I haven't been reading any blogs for the last four months or so (business) and I just checked in.

God is so good and hope in Him proves to be so rewarding :D

May God bless the both of you.

 
At 11:18 PM, Blogger Jenny B. Jones said...

I don't even know you people and that made me tear up! And then I wrote down your verse, Psalm 119:68 on a Post-It. Because I needed it. What a cool story. ; ) God bless you on your upcoming marriage.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home