Suzanne's Second Estate

A web log of my thoughts, activities, life....

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Surprises: Gotta Love 'Em!

This weekend I pulled a big surprise.

For the past four years, I have spent Thanksgiving in Colorado. This year I got a free ticket while traveling and decided to use it to go home for Thanksgiving. When I told my sister Sarah my plan, she suggested we keep it a surprise from the rest of the family. Doing this required some creative wording in certain conversations. For example, this conversation took place over the phone two days before the holiday:

Dad: So you're spending Thanksgiving with the grandfolks?

Suz: Aunt Rhonda and Uncle John are cooking the Thanksgiving meal this year (true!). Aunt Rhonda called me yesterday and invited me (true!). I was really happy to be invited! (true! true!)

Misleading? A little. A lie? No! I used similar wording to throw off my brother when he text messaged me on Thanksgiving Day.

Matt: Enjoying that Broncos game? (My grandfather is a die-hard fan.)

Suz: Yeah. (The game was on! I just wasn't in Colorado.)

Matt: I'm sure Grandpa is.

Suz: Yep.

Although it was super fun to surprise my parents and sister Bekah, surprising Matt was the best. When he and Anna arrived on Friday, I hid in my parents' room. As greetings were taking place Matt lifted Ben up over his head and I scooted in under Matt's arm so my face was right next to his. When he looked down, he jumped. "Whoa! What are you doing here?" Then his next words, said with a smile: "You lied to me!"

No, Matt, it's called creative writing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home