Suzanne's Second Estate

A web log of my thoughts, activities, life....

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Resolutions

I am not a big one on making New Year's resolutions. That is because New Year's resolutions seem to have a track record for failure. Why else are gyms more packed between Jan. 1 and Feb. 14 (when valentines candy hits) than any other time of year? A few years ago I quit making New Year's resolutions. I made the resolution to make resolutions, as needed, throughout the year.

That said, I do have a few things on my list of "things to do" this year. Here they are in no particular order:

1. Take dance lessons. After going swing dancing twice over Christmas vacation, I decided I would like to put some time into this pursuit. I'm also resolving to have fun while doing it!

2. Cut myself some slack. I don't like to fail at stuff. I've recently discovered I have this overwhelming desire to be the best at everything I do. And that hang-up discourages me from pursuing certain things (such as item 1 on this list). This year I would like to do several things that I've been afraid to try for fear of failure.

3. Read more. OK, I have no excuse! I'm a writer and editor but I do very little reading. I will read more this year and be intentional about taking books along on trips, to the gym and on errands.

4. Pack a lunch and make my own coffee. These two are related in that they both save money and require planning. So more grocery shopping and fewer Starbucks visits.

5. Like people the way Christ liked people. I'm currently reading Don Miller's book "Searching for God Knows What." He talks about how Jesus liked people. No wonder prostitutes, tax collectors and the socially disadvantaged were attracted to Him; they felt that He sincerely liked them. I realize I often don't show people this kind of grace.

So there it is. A few simple things on my list of things to do in 2006. Happy New Year...and may you make resolutions all year long.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home