Suzanne's Second Estate

A web log of my thoughts, activities, life....

Thursday, December 01, 2005

O Holy Night


I was listening to the radio yesterday and Michael Crawford's rendition of "O Holy Night" came on. Michael Crawford, the most famous Phantom of the Opera, has an incredible voice. Anyway, that's not my point.

As Crawford's voice caressed the beloved, old carol, I was struck by how powerfully, soul-wrenchingly Christian the lyrics are:

Truly He taught us to love one another,
His law is love and His gospel is peace.
Chains he shall break, for the slave is our brother.
And in his name all oppression shall cease.

I was astounded that these words, sung with deep passion were ringing out on a secular radio station. Hundreds of busy people were hearing them...though probably not considering their full meaning (or they'd be offended). What chains will He break? What oppression will cease? Who is the slave?

And then:

Sweet hymns of joy in grateful chorus raise we,
With all our hearts we praise His holy name.
Christ is the Lord! Then ever, ever praise we,
His power and glory ever more proclaim!

I wondered: Why at Christmas can anyone passionately proclaim, "Christ is the Lord!" when it's considered cramming religion down people's throats any other time of year? What a window of opportunity this season is. People are open to the truth; their defenses are down. And why else would Satan make this season be the most hectic time of year? He's working overtime to undermine the natural receptivity to Christ that comes with the season.

So take advantage of this month where carols of truth are sung freely. Think deeply on words that have lost their impact but not their meaning. Consider how you might remind someone of the wonderful, life-giving truth this season embodies. His power and glory ever more proclaim!

4 Comments:

At 9:13 AM, Blogger Danielle said...

I was just thinking, today at work, how no one is bothered by my playing Christmas carols, sacred and secular, but if I were to play "Christian" music any other time, they'd be offended.

Thanks for your meditations on "O Holy Night," my all time favorite Christmas hymn, not just for it's soaring, shiver-inducing melody, but for those powerful words.

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:15 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

(Sorry, I deleted my first post because of a typo!)

I know exactly what you mean, and I've been pondering this myself lately. Why are these secular stations playing songs that proclaim the gospel? I mean, it's great, but you'd think they would realize the message they're sending out and "get offended." Like yesterday, I heard Clay Aiken's version of "The First Noel" that included this last verse:

"Then let us all with one accord
Sing praises to our heavenly Lord;
That hath made heaven and earth of naught,
And with His blood mankind hath bought.

Noel, Noel, Noel, Noel,
Born is the King of Israel."

You'd think they'd also worry about offending Jews with that last line, implying that Christ is the Messiah!

I'm glad God kind of "blinds the eyes" of these radio DJs so that His truth can go forth to the masses. Who knows what seeds are planted this time of year?

 
At 3:23 AM, Blogger Danielle said...

One of the very best things about this time of year is hearing the Gospel sung from secular radio stations!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home