Suzanne's Second Estate

A web log of my thoughts, activities, life....

Friday, September 29, 2006

Marry Her? What?


I recently went to see "The Last Kiss," starring Zach Braff of "Garden State" fame. I was disappointed. Not only by the excessive (and unnecessary) sexual content and profanity, but because of the film's message that marriage is nothing more than a dull hardship to be endured when you've fallen in love. Not only is this perspective cynical (although understandable in today's divorce-ridden society), but it is also unbiblical.

This week's Boundless article "Marry Her? But What About that Girl over There?" is my answer to the film. (I did not come up with the title, by the way.) I hope it will generate some thought as to the effects of media on our perceptions of important issues like marriage and family.

2 Comments:

At 2:13 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Great article, Suzanne!

I just watched "A Beautiful Mind" for the first time last night, and the relationship between John and Alicia Nash was so beautiful to me...she stood by him no matter what, even when it was hard, and the speech he gave at the end of the film when he was accepting the Nobel Prize...(sigh; happy tears)! Too bad more movies can't show marriage commitment like that!

 
At 2:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The movie may be awful (I've heard that from several and will most likely never watch it) but the soundtrack is GREAT! Zach Braff has an awesome taste in music.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home