Suzanne's Second Estate

A web log of my thoughts, activities, life....

Monday, November 06, 2006

Challies on Ted Haggard

Most of you have probably heard of the scandal taking place in my own backyard. The coming to light of Pastor Ted Haggard's sexual misconduct and drug use has been shocking and disheartening. My heart was heavy all weekend. Tim Challies posted an insightful response to the scandal on his blog. Tim writes:

If we look to Ted Haggard as a representative of all that is wrong in Evangelicalism, I think we miss the most important lesson. The lesson we need to learn is that we are every bit as sinful and fallible and willful and depraved as Haggard; perhaps more so. It is only the grace of God that, like a spider being held over the flame by a nearly-invisible web, prevents me from giving in to all the sin that is in me and being dragged down by it. Oh, that He would continue to extend this grace! And oh, that I would take heed lest I, too, fall, for what is in Haggard is in me.


This affair, though painful, provides a good opportunity for self-examination. No one is immune to sin. 1 Peter 5:8 gives this reminder: "Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour." Please pray for Pastor Haggard and his family — and the family of believers everywhere.

HT: The Line

1 Comments:

At 10:16 PM, Blogger Carmen said...

And, no man shall take higher honor in our lives than God himself. "Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the Lord our God." Psalm 20:7

 

Post a Comment

<< Home