Suzanne's Second Estate

A web log of my thoughts, activities, life....

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Oh, Christmas Tree!


In the "How did I miss this???" category, the Associated Press reported Nov. 2 that this year's Capitol Christmas Tree came from my hometown:

ABERDEEN, Wash. The Christmas tree chosen for the lawn of the U-S Capitol will soon embark on its cross-country journey.

The 65-foot Pacific silver fir was cut down yesterday in the Olympic National Forest in Washington state.


Evidently the tree is on a "festive road tour" around the state of Washington, stopping by such unexpected locations as Forks and Walla Walla. "So everyone can kiss it for good luck?" I asked my dad today. One cool thing is that the tree's 3,000 ornaments were created by Washington school children.

Anyway, Aberdeen isn't known for much, so I wanted to point out this moment of glory. It's right up there with Tom Cruise's May visit. I just hope the tree is still alive by the time is reaches the White House.

3 Comments:

At 12:08 PM, Blogger Frank Martens said...

I wonder how much it cost from start to finish to pick out this tree.

I'm sure it's irrelevant matter, however.

 
At 5:03 AM, Blogger Gail said...

ohh i have tickets to the lighting on 7 dec at the capitol! i'll be sure to post some pictures for you!

 
At 11:49 AM, Blogger Suzanne said...

That's cool, Deanna! I would love to see the pics.

Frank, I'm sure the whole process is costing a pretty penny. Which makes me wonder...does a penny, pretty or otherwise, really have much value?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home