Suzanne's Second Estate

A web log of my thoughts, activities, life....

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Airport Adventure



Thank you for hanging in there blog friends while I took a Christmas hiatus. As you know, I was concerned about getting out of Denver due to the inclement weather. Fortunately, the Denver airport was fully operational on Saturday, December 23. Unfortunately, the security line was three hours long. I had arrived early, but not that early. When I realized I'd missed my flight, I stepped out of the security line (which I later learned was the wrong decision; they could have put me on standby on the other side).

I stood in the rebooking line, preparing myself that I might not make it home for Christmas. In contrast to the many cranky or crying people in line, a nice girl stood behind me. We made some small talk as we waited, and I learned she was in the same situation — single and trying to make it home to D.C.

When we were both put on standby to our various destinations, we decided to brave the security line together. I learned that my new friend, Tamika, is a believer and just my age. We had the shared experience of both recently leaving a church, so our conversation was very encouraging. We exchanged information before parting ways and plan to stay in touch.

I was able to get out on standby at 3 p.m., and my sister-in-law picked me up at the Portland airport around 5. We had dinner and then headed to Clatskanie. It would have been nice to arrive at my original time of 10:30 a.m., but because I didn't, I met Tamika. Notice the picture of the people I saw while waiting in line. Evidently some people were still fairly stuck. All things considered, mine was a VERY happy ending.

2 Comments:

At 8:08 PM, Blogger Ashleigh said...

Glad you got home and were able to make the best of the situation.

 
At 6:05 PM, Blogger Gail said...

i'm so glad you got home! i was praying that you would be able to be with your family!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home