Suzanne's Second Estate

A web log of my thoughts, activities, life....

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

This One's For the Girls


Warning: The following blog post contains highlights, make-up and a trip to the salon. I realize I have some faithful male readers, but you may want to tune this one out, guys.

A couple months ago when I was at the salon getting highlights, I read something in a beauty magazine that changed my life. You heard me: Glamour, or some equally unenriching magazine, changed my very existence. The article was about shaving minutes off your morning routine.

To give you some background, my mom taught me to put on make-up when I was about 14. Girls learn beauty routines from their mothers. My mom's routine included foundation, blush, eye shadow, eye-liner, eyelash curler, mascara and lipstick. And, so, since I was 14, I have religiously applied those items each morning. It takes about 10 minutes.

Here is the revolutionary information I gleaned from the article: foundation, blush, mascara and lipstick are enough for the office. What? This I can accomplish in less than 5 minutes. I began applying my new knowledge (pun intended), and I discovered I barely notice the difference. I can still use the other stuff for a special night out (see my Audrey Hepburn look above), but I can get ready 7 minutes faster each morning and still look polished and professional.

A few other great tips from the article:

  • Edit your closet mercilessly (don't keep things you don't wear; make sure most items are mix and match).
  • Don't skimp on maintenance items — a nice haircut, manicures and pedicures, tweezing — that keep you looking polished.
  • Wash your hair every other day; your hair will eventually adjust and look better for the natural oils. (See above picture)

I'm happy to say that my morning routine, which previously took 40 minutes, now takes less than 30. I wanted to pass on this most helpful bit of advice to my girls. Because 10 extra minutes of sleep is a beautiful thing!

9 Comments:

At 5:14 AM, Blogger Gail said...

i don't think guys realize how much money is spent on upkeep...haircuts, highlights, mani's and pedi's, makeup, hair product, waxes...i'm a low maintenace girl, not necessarily because i am (although having only a brother i was never allowed to be anything but a tom boy) but because it's just too expensive to be a girly girl!

 
At 6:23 AM, Blogger Ashleigh said...

Thanks for the tips, Suzanne! As a mom, there is so little time to devote to getting myself ready everyday, so I love time saving tips!

By the way, I love that picture of you!

 
At 6:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Making sure things in your closet mix and match is a great one! Now that I'm only wearing mostly maternity clothes, that's important! But good to keep in mind in general. Great tips!

 
At 8:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Extra sleep is ALWAYS a good thing. You look GREAT in that picture by the way!

 
At 12:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ummm, you didn't need to read that in a magazine!!! I could have told you all of that ;)

 
At 12:54 PM, Blogger Suzanne said...

Yeah. Because you're a goddess.

 
At 2:02 PM, Blogger Mike Theemling said...

"I began applying my new knowledge (pun intended), and I discovered I barely notice the difference."

Maybe you barely notice the difference, but what about those around you?

But personally, with the cuts in makeup you mentioned I don't think it would have a huge impact on your appearance. So kudos on getting that extra 10 minutes.

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger Suzanne said...

Funny you should say that. Only days after I began my new make-up regimen, I met you at that ugly sweater party and I distinctly remember you saying: "Whoa! You look different in person." Maybe this is the reason for the change.

 
At 6:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Three cheers for girliness :). Your Audrey Hepburn look is so pretty!!

Like Deanna, I am a low-maintenance gal of the pauper variety. Plus, I think I'm a hippie at heart. I wear makeup about once a week and I've never had a manicure :). But I do love being a girl and getting tips like this!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home