Suzanne's Second Estate

A web log of my thoughts, activities, life....

Saturday, January 20, 2007

A Perfect Day


Today was an ideal day (Well, I suppose we're talking yesterday at this point).

At chapel this morning, Aaron Shust led worship. I love his music, and his heart for the Lord really shines through. Aaron was one of my first myspace friends. Back in the day, we would exchange occasional messages about his worship philosophy, and the number of times I changed my picture and number of times he checked his myspace. But, alas, Aaron has become too famous for such things. I wanted to say hello after chapel. As I waited, I noticed Aaron's wife, Sarah, sitting off to the side with their new son, Daniel. I introduced myself and had a nice little chat. I did eventually say hi to Aaron, too, and he remembered our days of myspace friendship.

This afternoon, I received a call from Hunter. He told me one of his buddies was interested in hanging out with me in a group setting. I told him I already had plans tonight (because a friend and I had been planning a "Freaks and Geeks" marathon for weeks). Hunter said he and his buddy would stop by. I was sort of thinking this guy was going to feel out of place (not to mention, I might feel awkward), but Hunter seemed determined.


So back to "Freaks and Geeks".... Several months ago, I purchased the first and only season of the show, which came out because fans demanded it. When I first moved to Colorado, this show was on every Tuesday on TNT. I fell in love with the quirky tale of Michigan high school students in 1980. Not only does the show brilliantly capture the trials of high school — first loves, bullies, popularity — but it blends a unique cast of characters that is magical. While the show has some crass moments (to illustrate the rebel attitudes of the "freaks"), it focuses on the loving relationships within the Weir family, particularly that of brother and sister Lindsay and Sam. This kind of relationship is rare in TV, and I think it is what draws me most to the show.


Some fellow F & G lovers arrived around 7:30, and we ate dinner and started watching the pilot episode. I received a text from Hunter around that time, saying: "We're on our way." I kind of dreaded the intrusion of a newcomer, but a few minutes later, I received a second text. It was from my friend Anthony who used to be in my improv group but now lives in Texas. It said: "I'm in ur house." I lunged up the stairs and found Anthony and Hunter in the foyer. I'll admit it: I squealed. I was so surprised and excited to see my friend. This just added to an already great day.

My friend Mike, who is also a big F & G fan, stayed the longest and watched all the extra features with me. Most of the "behind the scenes" stuff looked like amateur home movies and showcased actor John Daley's embarassing crush on his TV sister. We also watched the auditions of the actors, which was really fun. Linda Cardinelli, who played Lindsay, was 22 when she played the part of a high school junior. She went on to be a regular on "ER." Another familiar face is James Franco, who played Daniel, but is best known now as Peter Parker's best friend in Spider-Man.

Almost nothing makes me happier than a day spent with friends. From myspace to just across town to out of state — good friends make for a perfect day.

6 Comments:

At 7:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweet -- gotta love the name being dropped in a popular blog!

 
At 9:59 AM, Blogger Suzanne said...

You guys are awesome! Thanks for the surprise. :)

 
At 12:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Say what you will about the younger Freaks & Geeks cast members, everyone knows Joe Flaherty carried that show. ;-)

 
At 4:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a fun time!

I bet I'd love that show. Long live the 80s!!

 
At 6:01 PM, Blogger Gail said...

sounds like soooooo much fun!

 
At 8:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a blast! Thanks for having us over!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home