Suzanne's Second Estate

A web log of my thoughts, activities, life....

Monday, January 08, 2007

Chicago: Day 2



We woke up bright and early Saturday (seven women getting ready in a one-bathroom apartment was an adventure in itself!) and took the L to downtown Chicago for brunch on the 95th floor of the Hancock Building. The food was delicious and the views were spectacular if a little foggy.


Chicago from the Hancock Building.


Then it was time for some shopping on the "Magnificent Mile" along Michigan Avenue.



During this trip, I rode in a taxi for the first time. Well, unless you count that one time in Tampa....



The American Girl Doll Salon


The doll salon on the second story of the American Girl store is one of the most bizarre things I've ever seen. For only $25, your doll could get one of eight different hairstyles or just be pampered. Can you imagine what these employees tell their friends? "Um, I'm a hairstylist...for dolls."



We were all quite tired after shopping for a few hours. Melissa and I take a rest and pose for a picture.




When I struck this pose, Melissa's sister said, "You just watch. She's going to be a star."


My absolute favorite experience of the trip was seeing "Wicked" at the Oriental Theater. The show was absolutely stunning—the best production I've ever seen. The women who played Glinda and Elpheba were exceptional. Also, if you've listened to the soundtrack but haven't seen the show, you have a few surprises in store! As my friends like to say: "I love it so much, it hurts!"



Keira, Carmen, Me and Melissa dressed to kill.




Did I mention I went to "Wicked"?


After the show, we headed back to the apartment and I attempted to figure out how I would get to Wheaton the next day. To be continued....

7 Comments:

At 6:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So fun!! I saw Wicked last year, and LOVED it. My boyfriend at the time waited in line at 6 AM to get us tickets, and it was so worth it! (... uh, especially because I didn't wait in line!)

 
At 6:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hooray for Wicked! I got to see it at the Oriental Theater in Chicago, too! The set was AMAZING--but then again so was the whole theater! I really enjoyed the performance and quickly declared it to be the best musical performance I've ever seen. I'm so glad you and your friends got to go!!

 
At 8:52 PM, Blogger Frank Martens said...

"The doll salon on the second story of the American Girl store is one of the most bizarre things I've ever seen. For only $25, your doll could get one of eight different hairstyles or just be pampered."

Bizarre? It has to be one of the most absurd things (and biggest wastes of money) I've ever heard of!

 
At 10:40 AM, Blogger Suzanne said...

Amen, Frank! But perhaps the smiles it brought to little girls' faces was enough....

 
At 9:35 AM, Blogger Matt said...

I've heard great things about that musical and hope to see it someday. However, I feel obligated to counter Jeana's declaration of "best musical ever" with a nod to my personal favorite, Andrew Lloyd Webber's Phantom of the Opera (which was just here in Tokyo a couple months ago).

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger Suzanne said...

"Les Miserables" and "The Secret Garden" are two of my other favorites. But the caliber of talent at this production made it the best I've ever seen. Was "Phantom" in Japanese or English?

 
At 1:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I second Suzanne's vote for Les Mis! And also I would just like to take this opportunity to express my undying love for the city of Chicago. What a wonderfully diverse and expressive metropolis.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home