Suzanne's Second Estate

A web log of my thoughts, activities, life....

Saturday, January 06, 2007

Chicago: Day 1


I arrived at the O'Hare International Airport in Chicgo on Friday, December 29. As I stood near the baggage carousel, waiting for my luggage, I spotted a lone figure walking away from me in the uncrowded claim area. That sure looks like Darren, I thought. Darren is my friend Kelly's husband. Surely I wouldn't happen upon the only person I know in Chicago. The figure turned and began walking my direction. To my amazement, it was Darren! His parents were flying in the same day, and he was meeting them in baggage claim. We caught up and discussed blogging as I waited for my luggage. Turns out Darren is acquainted with one of my favorite bloggers Justin Taylor. Small world.


I took the L and the bus to get to the apartment where six other girls and I were staying. Our purpose in spending the weekend in Chicago was to celebrate my friend Melissa's birthday. One of the other girls on the trip, Carmen, had a cousin who was generous enough to put us all up. Shortly after I arrived, we headed for the city to enjoy the best deep dish pizza in Chicago. Then we took a taxi to The Second City.

Considered the birthplace of improv, The Second City produced such Saturday Night Live greats as Dan Aykroyd, Bill Murray, Bonnie Hunt, Mike Meyers and Tina Fey. We saw a sketch comedy show. I was disappointed with some of the offensive content, but I was also impressed with the talent of the cast. The show we saw was called "War." While I didn't agree with the opinions contained in the show, I was startled by the power of the artform to convey a message. I emerged with a new goal: to produce a sketch comedy show that communicates God's truth with the same impact.

Of course, I had to buy a t-shirt to make my improv teammates jealous. (That's not me in the picture.)

2 Comments:

At 1:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I was just in Chicago on Friday! We had a day trip to the Field in regards to a show we're working on. Have fun!

 
At 11:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah! Sketch comedy!!! I've wanted to do this for over a year. Yippie!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home