Suzanne's Second Estate

A web log of my thoughts, activities, life....

Thursday, January 18, 2007

Mamma Mia!


Myspace finally paid off. Several days ago, when I logged in, a banner ad appeared promoting the musical "Mamma Mia!" playing at the Pike's Peak Center. The ad offered myspace users a $20 discount per ticket. I have been interested in seeing the show, which features songs by the group Abba.

From the official Web site:

Timeless songs such as "Dancing Queen," "I Have a Dream," "Voulez-Vous," and "Take a Chance on Me," are ingeniously woven into an enchanting tale of love, laughter and friendship. On the eve of her wedding, a daughter's quest to discover the identity of her father brings three men from her mother's past back to the Greek island paradise they last visited 20 years ago.




The show was great fun. The first half was excellent. I must commend the sheer brillance of a group of men performing an entire dance wearing swim flippers. Three middle-aged women singing into curling irons while reliving their youth in "Dancing Queen" was also very funny. At times the show seemed contrived, since it had to incorporate a variety of songs and justify their presence. But the choreography was impressive, the humor plentiful and the energy through the roof.

The audience laughed throughout and even began clapping during "Take a Chance on Me." I think my favorite moment was watching the white-haired lady in front of me "groove." She didn't strike me as the Abba type, but she was almost fanatical about the show. She even raised her hands above her head and waved them side to side at one point. After curtain call, the entire cast reprised three of the numbers, including "Dancing Queen," wearing these metallic 70s jumpsuits. "Mamma Mia!" was a lighthearted, good time.

1 Comments:

At 12:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've heard good things. Call me if you want arm candy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home