Suzanne's Second Estate

A web log of my thoughts, activities, life....

Monday, July 02, 2007

Discerning the Chick Flick


Today I read an excellent article in Brio and Beyond written by my friend Ashleigh. In "The Chick Flick Unveiled," Ashleigh explores the unrealistic and unbiblical ideas the typical romantic comedy promotes. She writes:

Am I suggesting we stop watching chick flicks? Certainly not. If we did, I’d have to throw out at least a dozen DVDs. What I’m saying is this: Not only do we need to exercise caution in what messages we feed ourselves via the media, but we need to combat lies with the truth.

How can we do this? First, in the area of romance, God should be our guide, not Hollywood screenwriters. As a former film student, I quickly learned that integrity of message isn’t a prime motivator in writing a script. Hidden agendas, political views and, most important, the power of the almighty dollar come into play. We shouldn’t trust those who don’t have our best interests in mind to influence our thinking and behavior in romantic matters.

This is a great article on media discernment that all young women should read. Spread the word!

1 Comments:

At 4:56 PM, Blogger Gail said...

sleepless in seattle...hahahah...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home