Suzanne's Second Estate

A web log of my thoughts, activities, life....

Monday, March 27, 2006

The Next Step

You know, there’s C.S. Lewis and Oswald Chambers and G.K. Chesterton, but occasionally you have a conversation with someone seemingly ordinary who stirs your heart in a new way. That was my experience in interviewing Dr. Robin Johnson. My hour and a half conversation with Robin was rife with refreshing wisdom.

Robin has been working with Children’s HopeChest to develop medical ministries in Russia. She has taken two trips to explore the possibilities of initiating baby cuddling programs, preventative health education and partnerships between Russian and American hospitals.

Speaking of some of the challenges she’s encountered, Robin said:

I don’t know how it’s going to look, but it’s not for me to figure out. God opens those doors. I just go forward until God closes the door and releases me from doing it. This summer I was thinking I’d really like to be done with this project. I just felt so heartbroken. In September I felt like I really needed to do this hospital [partnership] thing, and everyone said it would never happen. But at least I will have done what I believe the Lord laid on my heart. When something is laid on your heart, there are consequences personally if you don’t step forward. Don’t forget to act on what God has laid on your heart. There is a certain peace that comes from acting on it even if we don’t understand it or maybe feel really vulnerable. There’s an amazing security in knowing that you are under His wing. And you see His promises being fulfilled because you are stepping out in faith.


This is so convicting but at the same time encouraging. How often does the Lord lay something on my heart, and I’m excited about it for a moment and then forget to act? I imagine He chooses someone else at that point, and I miss out on a blessing and/or suffer the spiritual consequences of my disobedience. Robin’s words remind me of the benefits of walking with Jesus … one step at a time.

1 Comments:

At 5:00 PM, Blogger Ashleigh said...

I was really encouraged by Robin's quote! It is a timely reminder.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home