Suzanne's Second Estate

A web log of my thoughts, activities, life....

Thursday, April 06, 2006

Today I Turn 28


I can hardly believe it. In two years my parents will have a daughter who's 30! I have had one of the best birthdays on record! It was kicked off Saturday by the best karaoke party ever, followed by a ski getaway yesterday and culminating today with cards, calls and birthday wishes galore. Take a look at the delicious ice cream cake that my boss Jesse provided! (Notice there was only room for one initial. "S as in 'Super Suz,'" I quipped.)

Birthdays are a good time to reflect on the year. My 27th year was an eventful one that included many firsts. I:


  • Took ballroom dance lessons for the first time. Learned tango, waltz, swing and salsa.
  • Jumped from a plane at 10,000 feet tandem with friend Anthony (definitely a first).
  • Embarked on writing a proposal for my first book about young adults and the church.
  • Became an aunt for the first time to nephew, Ben (OK, I really didn't have much to do with that).
  • Traveled overseas for the first time, spending a week in Russia.
  • Bought my first house.
  • Got my first cavity.
  • Spoke at my first writer’s conference.


Just a list.

The things that have truly impacted me have been the amazing relationships I've developed this year. God has used so many people in my life to challenge and encourage me, and to show me more clearly who He is. I suppose that is the wonderful thing about getting older. Yes, I said wonderful. As you mature and add life experiences, you come to see more clearly who Jesus is and how God orchestrates your life in such tender and intricate ways.

Lamentations 3:22-23 says: "Because of the LORD’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness." That has been the song of my life this year. And each year I live my eternity with my Savior is that much closer. Soli Deo Gloria. To God be the glory!

3 Comments:

At 11:19 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

HAPPY 28th, SUZANNE!!!

I could hardly believe it in January when I realized my parents now have a 30-year old daughter (me)! That must make them feel old!

Great to see how rich your life experiences have been this past year! God is good!

 
At 8:23 PM, Blogger Anna H. said...

Suzanne, it makes me smile to see that your birthday was so amazing!! Yea!!! God has definitely blessed you, my dear!!

 
At 7:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! I'll be turning 28 in May and cannot believe it, really. So close to 30, which sounds so grown up! Sounds like you had an exciting year!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home