Suzanne's Second Estate

A web log of my thoughts, activities, life....

Saturday, June 09, 2007

A Day in D.C.: Museum Sampling


As you have probably guessed (if you read my last post), I did not have a huge amount of time downtown. But my choices were many. I was delighted to learn all the museums were free. "Your tax dollars at work," Carolyn said. I decided to start with the National Gallery of Art. Because I am far from an art aficionado, I asked the information desk what pieces I should not miss. They handed me a sort of "Art for Dummies" sheet that contained 12 don't-miss paintings, including Leonardo da Vinci's Ginevra de' Benci, Raphael's The Alba Madonna and Rembrant's Titus (or Boy in Fancy Dress). I do not know the name of the fountain in the picture above. Everyone else was taking a picture of it, so I thought I should, too.


Next, I visited the National Museum of the American Indian. Carolyn's sister helped design the interior of this museum. It was awesome! I took a picture of the ceiling.


The room of handmade Indian dresses reminded me of being a little girl, when my favorite thing to dress up as was an Indian Princess. When I was in third grade, my mom sewed me an Indian costume with fringe; I wore it as much as possible for the next three years.

Oh, a picture of the Capitol might be nice....

4 Comments:

At 5:45 PM, Blogger Ashleigh said...

Looks like you made the most of your time. I always enjoyed visiting the Museum of American History.

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger cat418 said...

Wow! You were busy! The National Gallery of Art was always my favorite. Next time you are there stop by the cafe - killer gelato!
By the way, the fountain in your picture is by Pierre Legros I.
"Cherubs Playing with a Lyre" is his only sculpture in the gallery but apparently quite popular.

 
At 12:02 AM, Blogger Suzanne said...

Wow, Nicole! Thanks! I felt bad I didn't catch the info about the fountain. I ate some delicious Lebanese food for you while I was in D.C. Dee-licious! ;)

 
At 8:04 PM, Blogger cat418 said...

You're torturing me! : )

 

Post a Comment

<< Home