Suzanne's Second Estate

A web log of my thoughts, activities, life....

Sunday, June 01, 2008

Aloha!


I'm in Hawaii! On Thursday, I flew into Kona and met up with my friend Becky and her friends Dawn and Jamie. The four of us are celebrating Becky's birthday by spending a week on the big island.


Yesterday we visited Rainbow Falls and a few other falls near Hilo, where we're staying. This was our view while we ate lunch.




We drove past several sugar plantations. I loved the color contrast here.


Akaka Falls drops 420 feet.


I met this man at Akaka Falls and bought an opihi shell necklace from him. Collecting them is very dangerous, since they are attached to rocky shorelines and you risk being smashed against the rocks. Two to three people die doing it each year. This man is the third generation to collect opihi, and he's teaching his 14-year-old son to do it. The opihi meat is considered a delicacy and can sell for $300 a pound; the shells are beautiful once sanded down. They look a little like an eye.

4 Comments:

At 6:03 PM, Blogger Ashleigh said...

Wow! Seeing those pictures brings back memories. I hope you guys are having a wonderful time. Just don't bring back any lava rocks ... well, you can if you want to. But it's local superstition that it's bad luck to do so. :-)

 
At 11:23 PM, Blogger Anna H. said...

Um, wow!!! Suzanne. You are such a lucky girl!!! What fun.

 
At 2:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like so much fun! I have a great time my friend!

 
At 5:30 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing your pictures! They are so beautiful. Glad that you all had fun! Aloha, Jamie's Moma

 

Post a Comment

<< Home