Suzanne's Second Estate

A web log of my thoughts, activities, life....

Saturday, October 25, 2008

Remember the Poor


God's been working on my heart recently on the issue of helping the poor. It started when I read The Justice God is Seeking by worship leader and songwriter David Ruis (He wrote "Every Move I Make"). But I suppose God had planted the seeds in my heart even before the book.

In my newest Boundless article, "Remember the Poor, Part 1," I pass on Ruis' insights on the poor and talk about my own struggle with getting involved. First, I must confront my prejudices.

She had a sweet little voice — one that could have belonged to a girl much younger. "Do you have some money so I could buy some shoes?" she asked.

I glanced down at her. The dark-haired girl sat on the sidewalk with her back against the stone building. Her bare toes peeked out from beneath her muslin, hippie-style skirt. My friend and I were rushing through the chilly Denver rain after spending some time at our favorite bookstore. The day was colder than it should have been for late March.

I mustered a sympathetic smile. "I'm sorry," I said. "I don't have any cash."

I wondered if the girl's request was a ploy. What could sound more pitiful than begging for shoes? Even if I did give her cash, would she spend it on shoes? Probably not, I thought.


Read more....

1 Comments:

At 8:55 AM, Blogger Becky said...

GREAT article, Suz! I'll have to check out that book.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home