Suzanne's Second Estate

A web log of my thoughts, activities, life....

Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Northwest Storm


A Daily World employee holds the blown-down street sign in Aberdeen, Wash.

Today I received a text message from my sister Bekah:

"We're OK and alive," it said. "Don't know if you've been watching the news."

I hadn't been. Turns out Aberdeen suffered its worst wind storm since 1963, with gusts up to 81 mph and sustained 45 to 50 mph winds. Yesterday, all roads out of Aberdeen were blocked and most of the town was out of power. You have to love small towns. This report appeared in a "special edition" of The Daily World:

The Daily World plant was among the businesses without power. Reporters and editors converged on KXRO, a fellow member of the Associated Press, and published this fourpage special edition with the assistance of The Olympian.


[Sidenote: My first job was nearly as copyeditor for The Daily World.]

Anyway, my family is safe and headed up to Olympia to stay in a hotel tonight. The latest from Bekah: "It's kind of exciting! :)"

1 Comments:

At 7:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad your family is still alive. Them's good people.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home