Suzanne's Second Estate

A web log of my thoughts, activities, life....

Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Waipi'o Valley


Waipi'o Valley is one of the more spectacular areas we've seen in Hawaii. To get to this spot, we had to brave the following:
The access road from the Waipio Overlook at the western end of Honokaa-Waipio Road (state route 240), down into the Waipio Valley is notoriously steep. While the road is now paved and only about ¾ mile long, the 25% average grade (said to be up to 45% at some points), taking the road about 900 feet down to the valley floor, is steep enough to destroy brakes on the way down, and stall engines on the way up. The road is therefore restricted to 4x4s (which you'll need anyway to navigate the unpaved roads on the valley floor), and hikers with strong legs.

We were the latter. The hike back up was the biggest challenge since it took place during the heat of the day, and we were all sharing one CamelBak. Still, the views along the way were worth it.


This waterfall started near the top of the road and flowed into the ocean.






3 Comments:

At 8:49 AM, Blogger josh and annie said...

Great pictures! I linked here from Becky's blog and small world that it is, I think my husband and I usually sit near you at church! I promise I am not a stalker. =)
Annie

 
At 4:12 PM, Blogger Suzanne said...

Annie,

That's wild. I'm sure I'd recognize you then. We've probably said hi during the greeting time at some point. :) It is a small world. See you at church!

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger Bekah said...

Great pictures Suzanne!
P.S.... I now have a blog!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home